Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Bitter-Sweet 4th of July

After posting this brief note, I will take a hiatus for a week from publishing The White Rhino Report. Early tomorrow morning, I will fly to Tampa to spend a few days with my sister, Diane - making the supreme sacrifice of accompanying her to two games at Tropicana Field between the Devil Rays and some team from Boston! Then on Wednesday, we will fly together to Virginia for a family reunion at the home of my brother, Dave, in Lynchburg. All four of my sons and my two grandchildren will make the trip, and it will be the first time we will have all been together in several years.

The precipitating event for the timing of our reunion is my mother's rapidly deteriorating health. Her hospitalizations for a variety of serious illnesses have become more and more frequent, and she seems to be running out of steam. A few days ago, I wrote to one of the family members about what I am expecting as we convene as the Chase clan in Virginia:

"My sense is that it will be a very trying time, mixed in with celebration over all of us being together - lots of laughing, crying, talking, story telling, cards, Whiffle Ball and food!"

Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers this week as we gather together.

Have a blessed 4th of July celebration with your family and friends.

Al

No comments: