Monday, March 12, 2012

One Day More! Les Miserables Returns to Boston in Triumph - Opening at the Opera House Tuesday, March 13th


Anyone who has known me for any length of time is aware of my passion for all things
"Les Miserables." The novel by Victor Hugo represents (in my humble opinion) the most explicit representation of the
Gospel outside of Scripture. I consider the musical based on the novel to be the ultimate expression of the art form that is musical theater. Whenever finances allow, I never miss an opportunity to experience the wonders of Les Miz on stage. Over the years, I have seen performances of the show in Boston, New York, LA, London, Tampa, and Maine!

The point is that I have a large personal data base against which to evaluate the current 25th Anniversary Production that rolls into Boston's Opera House tomorrow night. I had an opportunity to sit in the audience for this this same production and cast a few weeks ago in Tampa at the beautiful STRAZ Center. I was blown away. It may be the best Les Miz cast I have ever seen and heard. The production has been re-staged, and in many ways the newly imagined staging is an improvement on the original - which is hard to top. The iconic turntable has been removed. The only scene in which I really missed the effect of the turntable was the shootout at the barricade.

Carefully chosen sketches by Victor Hugo are now projected onto the back wall of the stage. The effect can be powerfully moving and hypnotic. This is especially true in the scene when Fantine and Eponine welcome Jean Valjean to heaven. The two eyes staring out could very well be construed as representative of God's welcoming gaze.

I know that the brief visit to Boston by the National Touring Company is already almost completely sold out. If you have an opportunity to grab some of the remaining tickets, I urge you to do so without delay.

One Day More!

Enjoy!

Al

No comments: