Thursday, May 09, 2013

Foundation for Haitian Development: The Road to Progress in Rural Haiti - The Road to the Village of Robert



Most readers of the White Rhino Report are aware of my deep connection with Haiti and my love for the land and its people.  I serve as an advisor to an organization called The Foundation for Haitian Development.  A key focus of FHD is the ambitious  project of building a road to the remote village of Robert in the southwest of Haiti, not far from the historic fishing port of Jeremie.

I want to make you aware of a current need to move the project forward to enable a full site survey to be conducted of the proposed route that the road to Robert will follow up the mountainside.  I also want to ask you to  consider joining with me and many others in making a financial contribution to this project.

Here is an advance peak at an appeal that will go out to those of the FHD mailing  list in the next few days.



When I Survey . . . .        . . . The Road to Robert - and Beyond


                               
In 1707, Isaac Watts penned the words to a hymn that many of us have grown up singing: “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.”

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?
Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
For those of us at the Foundation for Haitian Development, it is our awe and wonder at the power of the Cross that has prompted us to commit ourselves to put the power of the Gospel into action on the ground in Haiti. 
When we survey the Cross of Christ . . .
·         We feel compelled to put His love into action in practical ways
·         We feel called to provide a path to community development for the town of Robert in the southwest of Haiti and the surrounding area
·         We feel called to work with the citizens of Robert to build an actual road to the town that will give them access to jobs and commerce with the outside world.
·         We feel called to take the next step and engage a team of professionals to conduct a detailed survey of the site of the proposed Road to Robert
When we survey the site of the Road to Robert  . . .
·         We will know the scope and total cost of the road building project
·         We will be able to continue partnering with the people of Robert, other committed Haitians, partner churches and organizations, and engineers from Northeastern University and Port-au-Prince to plan and construct the road.
We have an immediate need to fund the Survey before the next rainy season arrives in Haiti. 
Our goal for the Survey project is $10,000 – well below the projected cost if we were not using God’s people to provide volunteer labor for planning and coordinating this survey project.
We are asking for your support – as an individual, a congregation, a service club.  We need your contribution on or before June 1.
For more information, contact:
Jaresiah J. Desrosiers
Founder and President
president@fhdnonprofit.org

Reginald G. Rose
Vice President/Administrative Officer
vicepresident@fhdnonprofit.org

God bless you as you choose to stand with us in this important endeavor for God’s people in Haiti.

No comments: