Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Socrates in the City - "The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living"

A couple of weeks ago, I reviewed a book by Eric Metaxas: “Everything You Always Wanted to Know about God (But Were Afraid to Ask)”

http://whiterhinoreport.blogspot.com/2006/06/mini-review-everything-you-always.html

Since I posted that review, I have had an opportunity to discuss Eric’s book with a number of readers of The White Rhino Report. An old friend asked if I would send him a copy of the book as a birthday gift, and I was thrilled to do so. I was able to recommend the book to another friend who “out of the blue” called me to say that he was going through a time of spiritual searching and wondered what resources I could recommend.

Another aspect of Eric Metaxas’ outreach in New York City, beyond his numerous writing projects, is his hosting of a series of lectures in a format that he calls “Socrates In The City.” Yesterday, the New York Daily News ran a story about this unique lecture series.

http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/big_town/v-bigtown_archive/story/427810p-360774c.html

If you live in the New York area, or have friends who do, I encourage you to get on the Socrates in the City mailing list so that you can be made aware of future lectures. I look forward to my travel schedule allowing me to attend some of the upcoming events.

http://www.socratesinthecity.com

I also encourage you to consider adding “Everything You Always Wanted to Know about God (But Were Afraid to Ask)” to your list of summer reading, or to have a copy on hand to give as a gift to friends who are searching.

Enjoy this beautiful first day of summer!

Al

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you, a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck! SIncerely, Eric Metaxas, your new bestest friend en El Mundo, guapo. p.s. You are the bomb, sir. Thanks for your kind words to me-ward. Man, I gotta cut down on the caffeine...