Friday, May 06, 2016

Back In The Saddle - Life After Rotator Cuff Surgery

I am happy to report that I am now able to resume Blogging on a more regular basis.  Here is the story.

On February 4th, while on vacation, I tripped and fell and landed with my shoulder striking two concrete steps.  The next morning, I was not able to move my right arm.  My good friend and physical therapy graduate student, Trevor Larsen, helped me to diagnose a probable rotator cuff issue via text message! Don't you love technology!

A month of physical therapy provided some improvement, but it was clear that something more serious was wrong.  A subsequent MRI revealed severe damage to the rotator cuff, with completely severed supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons and also a damaged subscapularis tendon.  I was referred to Dr. Higgins at Brigham & Women's Hospital.  I have been told by several sources that Dr. Higgins is the finest shoulder surgeon in the world, and my personal experience affirms that opinion.

On March 25th, I underwent surgery for the repair of the rotator cuff, and because of the severity of the injuries, have been immobilized in a sling until today, when I have been told I can wean myself off of the sling - using it to protect my shoulder when I travel on the T, but free to begin to use my arm indoors.

This morning I will begin a new round of post-op physical therapy at Pro-Ex, with the amazing Stephanie Novello.  Many thanks go to her, to Dr. Higgins and his terrific staff, to my sister, Di, for nursing me through the first few days after surgery, and to all of you who have sent notes of encouragement.  And of course, a special note of thanks to Trevor!

I now have a backlog of shows I have seen for which I need to write reviews, as well as dozens of books I have read that also need reviewing.

So, fasten your seat belts; I am back in the saddle.

Al

2 comments:

Al Barese said...

Welcome back, my friend. Here's wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. Hope you are back on the courts soon.

Prachi Mehta said...

Rotator cuff injuries are a common problem that many people face, especially athletes and manual laborers. These injuries can be caused by a variety of factors, including overuse, sudden trauma, degenerative changes, and impingement. It's crucial to identify the root cause of the injury in order to effectively treat it and prevent it from recurring. I commend the orthopaedic surgeon at Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai for bringing attention to this important issue and educating patients on the causes of rotator cuff injuries. Early diagnosis and treatment can greatly improve outcomes and help individuals get back to their daily activities as quickly as possible.